The first call for the education of girls came from India. Twelve sisters were sent and Mother Delphine Harte who was only 23, was named Superior of the new community. In 1841, the missionaries boarded the ship ‘Scotia’ and set out for India. Finally, on December 30, 1841, they reached Calcutta and took up residence in Loreto House. A few days later they opened the first Loreto School in India.